Friday, August 13, 2010

Maple Pecans


Whole Paycheck sells the most delicious maple pecans in their bulk section. I love the taste but not the price. So, I decided to try my own. For inspiration, I used this recipe.

16 oz. shelled pecan halves
3 T. coconut oil, melted
1 T. vanilla extract
3 T. maple syrup
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. sea salt.

Toss all ingredients together in a bowl and spread out on baking stone. Bake for about 25 minutes in 300 degree convection oven (or 30 minutes at 325 degrees in a regular oven), stirring often to prevent burning. They will be slightly brown. Watch closely so they don't burn!

I used a stoneware bar pan and sprayed it with coconut oil to prevent sticking. The glaze was fairly liquid, even when the pecans were browned, but once they cooled, they were only slightly sticky--they sort of dried out once they cooled. The flavor reminds me a lot of the Valdosta Pecans I have bought in the past--only without the pepper flavor and cranberries. :) They are very tasty--not too sweet.

No comments: