Thursday, October 6, 2011

Lettuce Wraps

The first time I heard about lettuce wraps I thought, "That sounds disgusting!" Imagine my surprise when I tasted them and loved them!  I found a recipe through Pinterest for P.F. Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps. The note says it is from Food.com, but I couldn't find it there to link back. Anyway, my recipe is a lot different, less complicated and quite a bit lower in sodium than the original.

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 small can mushroom stems and pieces
3 T finely chopped onions
3 stalks finely chopped celery
1 garlic clove minced or pressed
4-5 leaves iceberg lettuce

Stir Fry Sauce:
2 T soy sauce
2 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp. rice wine vinegar

(Their recipe had a special sauce to dip it in, but it had a lot of stuff in it that I didn't have on hand, so we just did without.  It was quite tasty.)

If you aren't starting out with cooked chicken (which is what I did) saute your chicken breasts 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until done.  Chop finely--about the size of small peas.  Chop mushrooms, onions and celery to about the size of small peas.  Cook mushrooms, onions, celery and garlic in 1 T olive oil in hot wok or skillet.  Add chicken and stir fry sauce and mix well.  When it is mixed and heated throughout, remove to a bowl.  Serve in lettuce "cups".

Depending on whether you have other foods with it (I cooked brown rice to serve with it) the recipe could feed 4.

No comments: